PayPal’s fundamental belief is that having access to financial services creates opportunity. PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services, empowering people and businesses to thrive in the global economy.
PayPal’s open digital payments platform gives 210 million active account holders confidence to transact in new and powerful ways, whether online, a mobile device, app, or in person. Through both technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates a better way to manage and move money, and offers flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid.
PayPal is in more than 200 markets globally, and includes Braintree, Venmo and Xoom, enabling consumers and merchants to receive payment in over 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
The Head of Government Relations APAC is responsible for providing strategic GR counsel, program support and implementation for PayPal’s regional businesses. This role will manage the APAC Government Relations team, which currently has representation in Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Beijing and Mumbai. This person will collaborate with national and local governments and regulators, industry associations, academia and merchants to shape the policy environment, protect PayPal’s reputation and help them grow their business in APAC.
The focus of this role is to address the Government Relations (GR) challenges presented by PayPal’s expanding Asia-Pacific operations. The Head of AP Government Relations will work closely with all regional business units; Legal, Compliance, Corporate Communications, Strategy and other relevant internal stakeholders to create and implement effective long-term strategies and action plans.
This position requires a skillful, pragmatic, flexible and a locally sensitive approach, and is of critical importance to PayPal’s future success.
- Present and project the Asia-Pacific political and regulatory landscape internally to PayPal’s senior management, country management, legal and compliance teams.
- Inspire and mentor the regional GR team to further develop their strengths and positively impact PayPal’s regional growth.
- Primary GR interface with the Head (Senior Vice-President) of PayPal APAC and management team, ensuring APAC GR is appropriately positioned to collaborate with PayPal’s regional business leaders.
- Membership of the Head of Global Government Relations’ management team, which currently consists of the Heads of EMEA, Americas and APAC Government Relations teams, along with a Head of Global Public Policy.
- Implement an annual policy-related GR plan for key APAC issues; assess the competitive environment, regional and global perspectives in order to protect and build corporate reputation for long term regulatory and advocacy objectives.
- Monitor, interpret and influence the policy environment; political, regulatory, and economic analyses which may impact PayPal’s businesses. Ensure relevant communication is disseminated to all internal and external parties quickly, thoroughly and appropriately.
- Draft and contribute to public policy and thought leadership papers and other relevant content for distribution and publication.
- Proactively present concise and business-relevant GR intelligence on pertinent regulatory and governmental issues
- Drive development, positioning and execution of PayPal senior management outreach and key stakeholder engagement to relevant policymakers, ensuring external relations are anticipatory, on-going and aligned.
- Engage GR outreach and relationship management with relevant supervisory and legal authorities in close cooperation with other support functions (Legal, Compliance, Communications, Risk, Global Core Payments).
- Contribute to Strategy and Corporate Development projects related to any possible PayPal joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions in APAC
- Advocate commercial measurements internally, and align such measurements with regulatory requirements.
- Ensure awareness of key regional constituencies, including Governmental and Non- Governmental Organizations and opinion leaders who may have a positive or negative impact on the business.
- Oversee external consultants in collaboration with internal stakeholders and functional colleagues.
- Manage a regional budget GR, administration and personnel.
- Integrate regional GR efforts with global HQ (San Jose, CA) and international HQ (Singapore).
Experience and Requirements
- Minimum 15 plus years Asia-Pacific work experience within a relevant industry: Payments, Global Financial Services, Consumer/Retail Banks, eCommerce, Information Technology.
- Strong knowledge of the Payments/Mobile/Digital Payments/Credit-Debit cards industry is considered a strong asset. An understanding of the payments process would likewise be advantageous.
- A proven understanding of how Government Relations positively impacts revenue.
- An appreciation for technology; its applications and uses, in order to gain greater insight of regional regulatory requirements.
- Deep knowledge of regional legislative and regulatory processes in key Asian financial markets, especially China, is highly desirable.
- Previous successful formulation of a regionally based and relevant Government Relations strategy is of strong interest.
- Successful team management, along with regional leadership responsibility for setting business or product strategy.
- Work experience with a Western matrix-styled organization, understanding how to successfully navigate through the organisation in order to partner internally.
- Excellent written, verbal, communicative and influencing skills. Fluency in English essential; Mandarin is considered extremely helpful; other Asian languages beneficial.
- Infrequent travel to the USA and regular travel within Asia-Pacific.
Character and Competencies
- Exemplary understanding of how to develop strong, candid and advantageous relationships within the company in order to leverage resources in order to effect legislative and policy changes.
- A high level of corporate professionalism, maturity and political agility; analyse, negotiate, and influence appropriately.
- Able to work flexibly under pressure and balance multiple and competing tasks, energetic drive, able to take ownership of both process and outcome.
- Brings out the best in others to perform beyond the norm
- Remain resilient through adversity and achieve results despite challenging situations.
- Consistently exercise sound judgment under stringent deadlines, possess significant degree of self-motivation and resourcefulness.
- Execute decisively when necessary, comfortable with the ambiguity of regional regulatory and legislative processes.
- Sound management and judgement skills, resourceful, confident, able to listen well and work collaboratively.
- An uncompromising level of ethical commitment and integrity.
- Asia-Pacific familiarity, an appreciation of the cultural, historical, political nuances, and intellect to navigate through the differences.
- Strong cross-cultural awareness to successfully builds bridges, combined with successful regional work experience.
- A high degree of self-awareness, seeks feedback and acts on it, along with a good sense of humour.
All interested individuals should send their updated resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. HHM affirms the principles of equal opportunity in employment. We do not discriminate against qualified candidates for any unlawful reasons, including race, religion, gender, national origin, age or disability and expect our clients to comply with non-discrimination policies.